My Roast Chicken obsession continues…this time, it’s my all-time favorite…Beer Can Chicken.. Mixing Beer + BBQ…what could be better?
This recipe doesn’t need any special equipment, although I use some below…see changes you could do here:
- Instead of a smoker box, wrap the wood chips in aluminum foil
- Instead of my beer can contraption, just put the chicken directly on the can!
- 1 Whole Frying Chicken (4 – 5 lbs)
- Vegetable Oil
- Spices for Chicken (Salt + Pepper, Chicken Dry Rub)
- Wood Chips
- Vegetables for Grilling (whatever you have on hand)
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 can Beer (a darker beer works better)
- Soak your wood chips for about 30 minutes in cold water
- Turn the BBQ on and warm to about 400 F
- Wash your chicken, and remove the giblets
- Pat the Chicken down with a little vegetable oil, and rub your dry rub spices all over the chicken liberally (put some on the inside too!)
- Pour about 200 ml of that beer into an ice cold mug…ignore the temptation to drink it immediately (I put 150 ml of my beer into my contraption instead)
- Place the beer can into the butt of the Chicken
- Place your chips into a smoker box, and place directly over the fire
- Place on the bbq over an indirect heat for roughly an hour, until the temperature of the meat hits 180 F. Place the potatoes on at the same time. Half-way thru cooking the chicken, add the veggies
- Rest for 10 minutes before carving, and enjoy!