So this is my first time making this dish. With my latest obsession of making my own dough (I still need a separate post about that) I thought this would be something good to try…this is another one of those dishes you don’t really need to plan ahead – just grab whatever you have in your fridge and get started!
- 1 pound dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Assorted Meats (I used some Spicy Salami and Pepperoni)
- Cheese (any kind you have on hand – I used Cheddar)
- Mixed Veggies
- Meat Sauce for dipping (I saved some of my lasagna sauce from the other night for this)
- Dice your veggies you want to put in your Calzone – I used Red Onions, Mushrooms, Green Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper, and Tomato
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 F with a baking stone in it, and a broiler pan underneath
- Measure out 1 lb of dough, and flour your counter top
- Split the dough into two balls, and roll out like you’re making pizza
- On half of the Calzone, put on some pizza sauce, and cover with your meat, veggies, and cheese
- Using a Pastry Brush, moisten the outer edge of the dough with water
- Fold over the Calzone, and use your fingers to seal. Slice a couple of holes thru the top with a serrated knife
- Liberally throw on some cornmeal on your baking stone, place the Calzone on the baking stone, and put a cup of water in the broiler pan and quickly close the door. Cook for 25 minutes
- Warm your marinara sauce, and enjoy!